Are you staring at your closet, day after day, and wondering what to wear? Break it down to a core set of eight items around which you can really build multiple outfits every day of the week. These eight items work in every season and also make for a great core wardrobe for those weekend getaways when looking sharp is a necessity. When you look at these items, you may say, “Where are the black shoes?” or “What about a white V-neck t-shirt?” Yes, I did not include every item needed and made some assumptions that you likely have a few staples in your closet already. But the items below are ones that are true work horses and are sometimes overlooked in favor of something trendier … these items are the ones that make getting dressed so much easier. That is what we all want, right?
1. Black & White Horizontally Striped Shirt ~ A black and white striped shirt is a classic look that is always fresh — and it is a wardrobe multiplier. What I mean is that it can give a whole new look to some other wardrobe items. Take any patterned pant or skirt — as long as it has black in it, it will likely work paired with this shirt. Tuck it in, wear a blazer over it, layer it under a chambray shirt or pair it with a long chiffon skirt and strappy sandals for a dressy / casual look. This shirt will be one you go for time and time again.
2. White Button Down Blouse ~ Untucked with jeans for a Saturday brunch, or tucked into a skirt for a workday outfit, nothing compares to the classic white blouse. Tie it, tuck it, untuck it or wear it over a cami unbuttoned … it always works. The key is to find one that fits you perfectly. It is worth trying on many and finding the one that fits you just right across the shoulders and the bust. After that, make sure the sleeves are long enough and consider getting alterations if needed as the money spent is worth it — you will wear this shirt nonstop!
3. Chambray Button Down ~ This shirt is my favorite go-to look. Pair it with white jeans, gray jeans, a dark denim skirt, a dressy skirt, with a suit, with grey dress pants … I am not sure what this shirt does not go with! Find one that is not too thick or too bulky. You may end up wanting a few as the different washes are fun to play with.
4. Camel Blazer ~ A black blazer is amazing…..but, we wear our black jeans so much in the winter and white jeans so much in the summer that the camel blazer is just perfect year-round as something to be worn with the aforementioned jeans as well as with a gray, navy or black dress without it looking too dark. The best of both worlds is to have black, camel and white blazers, but if I had to choose one that most women need, likely do not have and will be worn time and time again, it is the camel blazer.
5. Leopard Print Shoes ~ This print works well with many outfits because it is a classic look that is modern as well. And, the print is made up of neutral colors making it an easy one to pair with many prints and solids. While I love a leopard print jacket and blouse, accessories like handbags, belts, scarves and shoes are easy to incorporate into many outfits. They are super versatile, but if you simply do not like leopard, think about snakeskin.
6. Black Pencil or A-line Skirt ~ A black skirt is a must-have, hands down. It is the go-to skirt that you can pair with a t-shirt and jean jacket on the weekends, or with a black blouse and heels for a night out, or with a white button-down top depending on what your work dress code is. The pencil skirt is a classic look, but it can be hard for some women to wear as plenty of us are simply wider across the thighs than the hips. If that is you, an A-line works well.
7. A Gray or Navy dress ~ You need a dark dress for many reasons, but here are a few: they work if you are not quite sure what the dress code is for an event, they dress up or down with ease depending on your accessories, they are perfect for travel as they do not show dirt easily, and the sad truth is that we attend many funerals and you really do always need that dress you can wear to a funeral in your closet ready to go. The reason I say gray or navy and not black is because many people do not like wearing black to weddings and baptisms, and this is the dress that you want to be able to wear to EVERYTHING! If you are super casual and do not really need a more structured dress, buy a more casual one, but keep it classic and select one that works for many occasions. When you need this dress, you will be so thankful it’s in your closet … and you will need it more than you may think.
8. Dark Rinse Jeans ~ While ankle skinny jeans are still a favorite of many, a dark pair of bootcut jeans (with no whiskering and no holes) are flattering on everyone and round up this list as a must-have. You can wear them dressed up in a way that other jeans just cannot accomplish. Yes, you can have all the other jeans, but just make sure these must-haves are always on-hand. On those days that you cannot decide what to wear, consider these your default choice.
Inspiration from Pinterest.