This white and black checked short sleeve coat is awesome! Living in South Carolina, you rarely need a coat, so having a short sleeve option is perfect for down here. I featured this coat last winter, but it is so veritable I had to share it again. When I find a piece that I love so much, I make sure to incorporate it into my wardrobe as much as possible. Today I add black thigh high boots and a colorful scarf to complete my look. I am wearing a black slip dress underneath, so I can remove the coat while in the office.
Nothing says winter like shimmying into a variety of cozy pieces, and there is nothing cozier than an oversized sweater. This is one of the season’s biggest trends. The only question is how do you wear one without looking a bit too comfy. You do not want it to overpower you, especially if you have a small frame. You just need to learn how to style them. Here are some tips:
1. Keep it simple ~ Pair it over black leggings, add ankle boots. You are good to go anywhere.
2. Wear it as a dress ~ Just buy a sweater a size or two bigger than normal, and wear it with knee boots.
3. Wear it over a slip ~ If your sweater is not quite long enough to wear alone as a dress, then wear it over a bodycon dress or slip. This is my favorite look!!
4. Layer it ~ You can layer your sweater over a chambray shirt for a preppy vibe.
5. Off the shoulder ~ Let your oversized sweater fall down one shoulder for a cute, casual look.
6. Pair with skinny jeans ~ Pair your sweater with skinny jeans and a pair of over the knee boots for a very easy outfit.
Inspiration from Pinterest.
I am not a huge proponent of wearing leggings; however, everyone seems to be wearing them. So here are some do’s and don’ts for wearing leggings. Black leggings can be a stylish essential for your everyday wardrobe….if worn correctly.
Style Tips ~ Do’s & Don’ts
- Make sure your leggings are opaque and made of a thick material.
- Pair with accessories to elevate your leggings outfit.
- Be sure to wear the right kind of underwear…no one wants panty lines.
- Contrast tight leggings with an oversized, loose-fitting top or cardigan to balance out the look.
- Make sure whatever you wear on top covers your rear end or is long enough.
- Remember, leggings are not pants and should not be worn to substitute pants.
- Play up layering when wearing leggings to add more dimension to your outfit, thus making it more interesting.
Outfit Ideas ~ Suggestions
Wear Leggings with a Plaid Tunic Button Up. If it is long enough to cover your rear, I would agree that you are safe wearing your fave plaid shirt with leggings. If you are going for a super cozy, laid-back look for traveling or running errands around town throw on your favorite sneakers for a casual, cute look. But if you are looking to elevate the look, throw on accessories and riding boots to complete the look.
Wear Leggings with an Oversized Chambray Shirt. If you have an oversized (tunic-length) chambray, you can put together a similar look. In this look below, you can see she threw on a neutral cardigan over a denim shirt and leggings, adding an additional layer to give the outfit more dimension and make it a bit more interesting.
Wear Leggings with Oversized Cardigans / Sweaters. Similar to wearing leggings with an oversized plaid or chambray shirt, you can wear a longer cardigan or oversized sweater. Pairing an oversized knit with your leggings is a great opportunity to use juxtaposition to your advantage, contrasting the tightness of the leggings with a loose-fitting, oversized cardigan or cozy sweater.
Inspiration from Pinterest.
In a world where we are all so deeply connected, it is sometimes necessary to take a break from it all. I fell in love with hiking about six months ago. I have been trying to go about once a month since then. Last weekend I was in Boone, North Carolina….and it was COLD. Planning for the weather is key, and layering in the best way to go! The flannel shirt was under $20 at Old Navy. The pants are from New York & Company. My hiking shoes are from Dicks Sporting Goods. Last minute glove and hat purchase at Walmart. Hike More ~ Worry Less.