We are all busy these days, especially if you are a mom. Do you feel like you have no time for yourself? Do getting the kids ready for school in the morning consume all your time? I get it. It can be hard when you have others that you have to look after as well as yourself, to stay stylish, but it is certainly not impossible with a touch of planning. Maybe you do not have kids still at home, but you still struggle in looking stylish every day. DO NOT fear, because you are not alone. Here are some helpful tips to get you out the door in the morning, every morning, looking stylish!!
1. Plan your outfit the night before – pull it out of the closet, and check to make sure it is clean and pressed. Then find the accessories you need to go with it and add them on the hanger. This way do not have anything to think about when you are getting up and dressed and other people want your attention.
2. Make sure you accessorize – remember that accessories can make an ordinary outfit stand out.
3. Update your wardrobe seasonally – many women who have busy lives end up putting themselves and their wardrobes last. The kids get new clothes but you hardly ever do because you just do not have time to shop for yourself. Make sure at least once each new season you take some time out for yourself to update a few items in your wardrobe to keep you looking fresh and stylish. If you have been wearing the same jeans from five years ago, then it is time to invest in some new ones.
4. Get a hairstyle you can do fast and easily – a stylish hairdo makes a huge difference to your whole look. Let your hairdresser know your limits – how much time you have each day to spend grooming your hair, that way they can cut it with that knowledge, plus ask them to show you the best way to style your hair yourself. Then do your hair, every day, spend that three minutes each morning making it look stylish.
5. Wear makeup – you do not have to do a full makeup routine, but even a little mascara or some lipstick can make you look more put together and finished.
6. Buy easy care clothing – if it needs dry cleaning or special attention you are less likely to wear it. Check care labels before you buy, so you know you can throw it into the machine with all your other clothes.
7. Make sure your shoes are not looking scruffy – polish shoes to keep them looking good. In general I would advise wearing leather shoes, they can be fixed easily and improved upon. Many synthetic shoes once they are scuffed cannot be fixed.
8. Cover up – if your kids are still young and often have messy hands, then wear something over your clothes until you are about to leave the house, that way any breakfast foods do not make it onto your clean clothes before you get out of the house!
9. Have a ‘go-to’ uniform – Plan a handful of outfits you know you look good on you, and know the accessories you wear with them. This way when you are rushed you can reach for your stylish ‘go-to’ outfits and feel good. Even adding a jacket over a tee and jeans, throwing on a scarf and some boots or ballet flats will make you look stylish rather than frumpy. A little structure in your clothes can go a long way! A dress is a great item to wear as it makes you look stylish and means you only have to decide on one item.
10. Size matters – yes you may be losing the baby weight and not back into your pre-pregnancy size, but if you are wearing oversized clothes, you will never look stylish. You may need to invest in some “in-between sizes” clothes. Some new well-fitting jeans and tops can make you feel so much better than slobbing around in old-tracksuit pants. Do not get stuck in your maternity clothes or in sizes that are no longer relevant to the body you have today. Dress the body you have TODAY.