Jumpsuits are everywhere right now, but they can be a little intimidating if you have never worn one before. They may be inspired by men’s coveralls, but they can be totally feminine and sophisticated in the right cuts and with the right styling. Let these ten stylish tips show you how it is done — it is easier to pull off than you think.
1. Define your waist ~ A slouchy, straight-up-and-down jumpsuit can be cool too, but cinching in the waist is a great way to define your shape add a little extra femininity to your look. Belts are the go to, of course, but tying a lightweight jacket or shirt around your waist can look pretty chic too and it has the added benefit of hiding that whole oblong-butt thing that sometimes happens when you cinch in the waist on a loose, flowy jumpsuit.
2. Break it up ~ Break up that big block of color with a lightweight jacket. Leave it open to elongate your body or wear it on your shoulders for some instant street style cred. A crossbody bag, worn in front, is also good for adding a little visual interest to your look.
3. Glam it up ~ Jumpsuits are just as good for evening as they are for day, especially when worn with glitzy metallic accessories and a sleek tuxedo jacket — perfect for a fancy dinner or a chic black tie cocktail party.
4. Show some cleavage ~ A deep, plunging neckline is hella sexy, but it is also great for breaking up a graphic all over print. Use a short necklace, bold earring, or face framing hat to help draw the eye up, away from your cleavage.
5. Make it sheer ~ Peek-a-boo sheer panels are a great way to show skin without giving it all away — sexy and feminine and just the right amount of subtlety.
6. Mix hard and soft ~ A leather jacket and chunky metallic jewelry are great for adding a little edge to a feminine and flowy pastel jumpsuit.
7. Choose a feminine print ~ Polka dots, florals, hearts, kisses, whatever. A good, feminine print can make even the most masculine silhouette look totally girly. Also, backless is always feminine.
8.Go for a bold color ~ Bright colors are automatic attention-getters — great for those times when you want to show off your shape.
9. Release your inner animal ~ If a full-on leopard jumpsuit is not for you, try a modified or abstracted animal print like this one and pair it with neutral layering pieces and accessories for a more subtle and sophisticated look.
10. Just add a heel ~ When in doubt, add a high heel — even the most utilitarian-looking jumpsuit can be completely transformed by a good pair of heels.