In order to look and feel your best, you have to know how to dress for your body. While women have many different bodies, these clothing choices should always be avoided if you want to appear slender.
1. Menswear that is made for MEN. Celebrities have really popularized the feminine menswear look with suits, tuxedo pants, and boyfriend jeans. You cannot just go to your boyfriend’s closet, pick out a suit, and expect it to look awesome. You need to buy men-inspired clothing for women. If you are going to try this trend, make sure you have an awesome tailor.
2. Skinny Jeans. Every girl deserves a pair of jeans that she can rely on. While skinny jeans look great on some girls, sadly, they will only accentuate large proportions for others. If you are have to struggle to get into your jeans, then chances are they are going to make you look larger.
3. Puffy Coats / Vests. It is no surprise that puffy coats are not really doing anything for your figure. Of course, in the cold months, you will have to wear a big coat pretty often. Luckily, there are some puffy coats that are cinched at the waist that can show off your figure while keeping you warm.
4. Cropped Pants. Avoid pants that end between the knee and ankle at all costs. They can look good on rare occasions, but much more often these cropped pants will make the thigh area of average weight women appear larger.
5. Trying to HIDE your body. Women who are insecure about how they look will often wear as much fabric as possible to cover up their bodies. That is only making you look like a blob — show off your shape! Even if you have a large waist, put a belt on it and show everyone your hourglass shape.
6. The Wrong Bra. So much of your look relies on what you’re wearing underneath your clothes. A lot of women are wearing the wrong bra, and that can really mess with how you look. Decide if your bra is stretched out, and if so, it might be time to go shopping for a new one.
7. Too Tight Clothes. Tight pieces that hug your body can be showstoppers but when they are too tight they accentuate all the flaws and hug all the curves the wrong way. It is better to get something a little too big and get it tailored down, that to try to squeeze into something that is too small. Just because it zips, does not mean it fits.
8. Baggy on Baggy. The loose fit is very in right now, and can look so chic when it is paired with the right things. A baggy piece has to be paired with a fitted piece can look great. If you want to wear an oversized sweater, wear leggings or skinny jeans.
9. Printed Pants. If you are in love with the printed pants trend, please be careful. Prints add dimension and volume to the body. So if you see a size 00 model wearing the cutest printed pants and you are a normal size 16 with a booty, be prepared for the possibility that the pants will not look the same on you as on the model.
10. Too Many Layers. There is a fine between flattering layers and bunchy, frumpy layers. Just like the rule with baggy clothes, you need to balance fitted layers with loose layers. If you want to wear a loose kimono, wear a tight tank underneath.
11. Jersey Material. Jersey fabric is light and stretchy but does nothing when it comes to highlighting your curves. Jersey shows everything, and I mean everything. It is just not a flattering fabric unless you are a size 0 model. Go for thicker fabrics for fitted pieces and a flowy fabric, like rayon for looser ones.
12. Chunky Shoes. Fat heels and platform shows add unwanted heaviness to the bottom half of your body. Try something sleeker and thinner. A pointed toe is the perfect shoe to lighten up your legs. If heels are not your thing, do not worry, there are pointed toe flats and boots.
13. Tea-Length Skirts. While tea-length dresses and skirts can look very classy, sometimes the length of the hem hurts you appearance, as a whole. A skirt that hits around the ankles tends to make women look wider. Instead try a skirt that hits right above or below the knee.