One of my favorite fall fashion staples is a plaid shirt. Plaid shirts, or flannel shirts as some people call them, are so versatile and can be worn in a million different ways. And do not forget that they are ridiculously comfortable and usually inexpensive. Considering that flannels are one of the best things about cold weather fashion, you definitely do not want to miss out on them. You also do not want to get stuck in a rut of only wearing them with jeans and flats or boots. There are so many other things to do with a plaid shirt, no matter how casual it seems. Here are some style tips on how to wear a plaid shirt.
1. Start simple. Layer it under a cardigan to keep warm and super casual.
2. An over-sized plaid shirt can be worn open as a cardigan, and looks like a cute layer with denim shorts and tights.
3. Accessorize with a chunky knit scarf and a beanie to stay warm, and pair your plaid shirt with jeans for a comfy weekend outfit.
4. Mix your plaid shirt with another pattern or print, like these leopard shoes. How fun!
5. Forget jeans. Tuck your plaid shirt into a skater skirt and add tights for a gorgeous winter look.
6. Tuck your plaid shirt into your jeans and add a colorful belt for a streamlined look that is a little more polished.
7. You can make a plaid shirt more professional simply by adding an eye catching blazer.
8. Unbutton your plaid shirt and wear it open over an all black outfit to look chic and effortless.
9. Layer your plaid shirt under a sweater and let the collar and sleeves pop out for a preppy look.