If you have been lucky enough to be attending a New Year’s Eve party, you need to know how to dress for the occasion in an eye catching manner. Most parties are festive and a little wild, and your style needs to reflect that. To leave a lasting impression with your hosts and the other guests, choose a daring, glitzy outfit and appropriately daring shoes and accessories. Finish your look by highlighting your best facial features with dramatic makeup. Here are some of my ideas for creating the perfect New Year’s Eve look.
1. Choose a length that works for you. Short skirts are relatively standard for New Year’s Eve, but if you feel uncomfortable baring that much skin, stick with a skirt that falls at or just above the knee. Choose a length that makes you look and feel your best, regardless of tradition.
2. Select an interesting neckline. Instead of a straight cut neckline, consider something a little more flirtatious, like a crisscross strap or strapless sweetheart neckline. For a more conservative option, try a festive scoop neck that keeps your shoulders covered but exposes part of your collarbone.
3. Try a one shoulder dress. One shoulder dresses create a dramatic flair that works perfectly for a New Year’s Eve party. Moreover, playing peek-a-boo with your shoulders can often look sultrier than keeping both shoulders bare.
4. Go backless. If you feel a little wary about exposing your shoulders or chest, but you have a toned back with fairly clear skin, a daring backless dress might be the perfect option for you. A conservative front keeps things looking classy, while the exposed back shows a tempting glimpse of flesh.
5. Try on a sequined dress. For most people, there are not many occasions when you can get away with wearing a sequined dress. On New Year’s Eve, however, sequins are not only welcome, but classic. If a sequined dress is too much sparkle for your style, opt for a sequined skirt instead. Match the skirt with a simple fitted tank top or blouse. A solid black top offers an especially nice contrast with your shimmery skirt.
6. Look at lush velvet. Velvet is a luxurious material and makes an excellent alternative to sequins for dinner parties and other classy festivities. Make the most of this look by choosing an alluring hue, like turquoise, rather than a drab black.
7. Try on a metallic jean. If you plan on attending a casual party or ringing in the New Year with a small group of close friends, keep things simple by wearing a metallic jean. Metallic jeans have a tint of gold or silver overlaying the denim, making them a little dressier than your everyday jeans.
8. Keep things muted with a simple pattern. If you are keeping things casual this New Year’s Eve, a fitted tank top or blouse with a simple yet festive pattern might be all you need. Prints themed to the occasion include stars and fireworks. Match it with a metallic jean if you want to add a little shimmer.
9. Make your accessories shimmer. Diamonds and similarly sparkly stones add class and glitz to your ensemble. A little can go a long way. Try a pair of simple diamond posts or a pendant with a diamond charm.
10. Choose a centerpiece accessory. You can get away with some large, flashy jewelry for the occasion, but there is still such a thing as “too much of a good thing.” Instead of wearing several large pieces of jewelry, find one piece that can take center stage—like extravagant chandelier earrings or an ornate necklace—and keep the rest of you jewelry, if you wear any, simple and subdued.