You probably have some clothes and shoes taking up space in your closet that you could let go of, right? It might be time to recycle or donate if your clothing falls into one of the following categories.
1. If the piece has stains or a musty smell it needs to go. I know this may seem obvious, but for some extreme clothes hoarders, getting rid of clothes is very emotional. However, in the case of clothes moths or mold, dye, or ink stains, you need to accept that your clothing is beyond recovering.
2. If you no longer LOVE it, then it is time to get rid of clothes and shoes. Closets are typically small spaces in our homes, so maximizing space is key. If you do not LOVE something, there is really no reason to give up space to it in your closet.
3. If it is out of fashion… and not coming back. If you bought something trendy that you cannot incorporate into outfits going forward, it is time to toss or donate. There is no value is storing something you will never wear again.
4. If it no longer projects the image you want to project, it is time to let it go. For example let’s say you used to be a corporate type, but now you have decided to pursue a career as a yoga instructor. At this point, you do not need to have a closet full of oxford shirts and tailored slacks.
5. If it itches, scratches or pinches you need to toss it. I am all for “suffering” for fashion, but there is a limit! If something is truly uncomfortable, you need to let it go. This includes scratchy fabrics that are irritating your skin, itchy fabrics and high heels that pinch your toes.