Most women want a well functioning wardrobe, but are not sure exactly how to go about getting one. They want to stop wasting money on clothes, yet shop in a random fashion, without a list and then wonder why they have a closet full of clothes but nothing to wear. Does this sound like you? Well, I have the answer. If you follow my formula below, you will have a fabulous wardrobe that mixes and matches easily and allows you countless options to wear. Here is the formula:
2 x jackets or cardigans (top layers)
4 x bottoms (skirts/pants)
6 x tops
Each jacket must work with all the tops and bottoms. Each top must work with all the bottoms.
As you can imagine, this formula is fabulous for traveling. Also, this is the way to go if you are in the process of losing weight, or just want a versatile wardrobe that does not cost a fortune. Now I imagine that you are thinking, how do I choose the right 12 garments? Consider the following tips.
1. Neutral Color – Choose any neutral as your base color. This way you easily wear the neutral garments multiple times, without drawing attention to them.
2. Accent Colors – Consider bold and bright accent colors. Pinks, green and shades of blue all work beautifully with the neutral navy base, plus work well with each other.
3. Patterns in Tops Only – Plain jacket and cardigan, plain skirts and pants, makes it much easier to mix them all together.
4. Versatility – The styles of tops and bottoms you chose should allow you to dress them up and down. From a pencil skirt, a jersey jacket to a navy cardigan, the range allowed you to go from smart casual to casual very easily.
5. No Two Garments are the Same – It would have been very easy to choose one of the tops and get it in 6 different colors, but then you tend to feel like you are wearing the same clothes over and over. Chose a variety, longer and shorter sleeves, different fabrics, cuts and necklines to give me the maximum ability to change up the look of each outfit.
Now these 12 garments will easily make 72 outfits. One extra top will take your outfit options to 84, or one extra cardigan or jacket to 96 outfits!