The strapless dress is universally flattering, accessory friendly and perfect for showing off your bronzed shoulders during the summer months. Strapless dresses are a classic go to summer staple. But here is the issue……they can be incredibly annoying. When going strapless, it feels impossible to make it through the day without having to pull up your dress at least a couple dozen times. But actually, constantly tugging at the fabric is only going to make your dress more likely to fall down, since you are stretching it and creating a looser fit. Do not give up hope though. To help cope with the woes of this warm weather favorite, here are some tips that will make wearing a strapless dress as fun and carefree as it was meant to be.
It is all about the boning ~ A tube dress does not offer much support up top, but a dress with a bit of boning in the bodice will be more structured.
Layer a shirt underneath ~ Try layering a tshirt underneath your strapless dress. The extra fabric will hold up better against bare skin, plus it will add some visual interest.
Rubber is your friend ~ Some strapless dresses come with a thin silicone rubber strip that lines the entire inside top seam. This provides a bit of resistance against your skin so that it will less likely to fall down. If your strapless does not have that thin rubber band, use a bit of fashion tape instead.
Pin it ~ When you are running low on the double-sided tape, try a few safety pins instead. Just take some safety pins and pin your bra to the dress….simple and easy.
Do NOT go without a bra ~ Strapless bras can be finicky, but they are generally a good idea when you are opting for a strapless dress. It will give your frock something to grab onto and it will also add some shape to the bodice. There are a ton of different options on the market these days, so pick a style that suits you. And no matter how tempted you might be to wear a bra with straps underneath your strapless dress……just don’t. It is not a good look.
Even using one of these tricks will improve how you look and feel in a strapless dress. Here is to hoping that there are many more bare-shoulder days ahead of us!!
I found this fashion tip on Pinterest, and I totally agree. If your skirt is above the knee, wear flats. If your skirt is below the knee, wear heels. Stay classy, bitches.
In addition to rising temperatures and weekend getaways, summer brings with it the urge to shop…..or maybe that is just for me?! I always have the urge to shop! Summer parties and weekend jaunts down the coast require a cute new outfit, right? I understand that new summer outfits are not always in the budget, so here are four simple tips to improve your style without breaking the bank.
1. Buy summer shoes a half-size or a full-size larger than you normally would. It is not the most flattering of facts, but our feet swell during the summer. That is why it is key….when shopping for new shoes this time of year, buy shoes a bit larger than you would in winter. Natural materials like leather, canvas and suede will definitely stretch, so going up half a size should be fine. Of course, you should always try them on!!
2. Pay close attention to your fabrics. To stay cool on steamy days, it is best to seek out materials like cotton. Linen also is a solid summer material….it is stronger than cotton and a better conductor of heat, making it the most breathable fabric. Contrary to popular belief, silk is a good choice for summer as well, since it is natural, breathable, and cooling. The only downside is it has to be cleaned frequently if you sweat.
3. Reinvent your clothes. As you know I am a huge proponent of using a tailor for alternations. A tailor can also inexpensively transform a item, making it look totally different. I had a maxi dress that I had shorten to make it knee length, added a denim vest, and the entire look was different.
4. Keep your actual makeup from melting. You are always hearing about ways to keep the makeup on our face from melting, but how about the products we tote around with us in our bags? Try this trick: Freeze a Zip-Loc freezer bag overnight, and before you leave for work, toss in the cosmetics you normally take for the day (a lipstick, a foundation, etc.) While it is not a long-term fix, it will keep your products cool until you get to work, or whichever air conditioned place you are headed.
I am back in action after a couple of months. I am sorry, but it has been a very busy summer. I wore this dress a couple of weeks ago. It is from The Loft outlet. Their clothes are so flattering and comfortable. I love that store!!
Spring’s favorite staple is making its way out of storage and onto the streets once again. Perhaps you have started spotting them under edgy moto jackets and flowy sweaters, but soon enough when they temperature rises, maxi dresses will be paired with simply statement gladiators or wedges. From popping prints to solid silks, take on the upcoming high temperatures with these low-grazing hemlines. I wore this last weekend on my mini-vacation to Daytona Beach. Found it on sale for $16, originally $69 at Belk.
I am sorry to hear some of my friends are getting SNOW today. Thank goodness there is not a snowflake to be found where I live. In fact, today is gorgeous! Check out my spring dress and fuchsia peep toe heels. I am ready for sun and fun!!
Let’s hope that spring is officially here to stay!! That being said, my wardrobe is up for a major overhaul. I find myself craving new things with the change in seasons, but still relying on a few old standbys. Here are my top five spring wardrobe must-haves.
1. A lady-like white dress ~ When the temperature rises, there is one color that I wear constantly…and that is white. I am not a big fan of shorts (just my personal choice), I tend to wear dresses every day until fall. I suggest stocking your wardrobe with tons of flirty, feminine white dress for this spring. Check out Old Navy, Ann Taylor and Steinmart for cute, stylish dresses.
2. Sky High Wedges ~ I love love love wedges for spring and summer. They go perfectly with both jeans AND dresses… even rompers!
3. Nautical Stripes ~ Stripes will forever be a classic, so why not stock your wardrobe with them?! Pair them with white pants for a preppy look or with boyfriend jeans for a casual boho look. Stripes do not go out of style!
4. Espadrilles ~ Get a pair! They are awesome.
5. Big & Bold Prints ~ I happen to adore prints, so a big, bold printed top is a must for spring. I suggest searching for colors like hot pink, tangerine and yellow.